If you are in an abusive relationship and want to get out, you first need to create a safety plan. As part of your safety plan, you should:
- Pick code words to use with your friends when you are in danger.
- Make sure you have a cell phone that works and always keep it charged so that you can make a call in an emergency. If you don’t have a cell phone, keep a phone card with you at all times.
- Avoid dangerous or isolated places.
- Plan escape routes from places you go often such as your house, work, and school.
- Change all passwords that your boyfriend/girlfriend may know, including voicemail, email, social media, and bank accounts.
- If you have a child with the violent partner you should talk to your lawyer about custody and visitation.
- Join a domestic violence support group for guidance and support.
- Tell people at your school or workplace about the abuse so they can take steps to keep you safe if necessary.
Consider getting a restraining order if the violence escalates.