PEARL HARBOR (March 3, 2009) BoatswainÕs Mate 2nd Class Rasheema Newsome, assigned to Commander, Navy Region Hawaii, reads Dr. SeussÕ The Cat in the Hat to kindergarten students at Lehua Elementary School. Students from kindergarten to sixth grade celebrated the 105th birthday of author Theodor Seuss Geisel with readings of his classic books by 10 Pearl Harbor-based Sailors. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Robert Stirrup/Released)

Financial Assistance For Child Care

Child care can be very expensive but do not let that discourage you from seeking it out.  You may be eligible for financial assistance. If you are in foster care, your baby is not detained and lives with you, and you are working or going to school, DCFS may help you pay for child care for a period of time. Talk to your social worker about this. Note: you are still responsible for choosing a licensed child care program.

To find a provider, click on this link and look under your zip code. Then visit the provider and, if you like them and the environment, find out if they have an opening for your child.

To apply for the DCFS funding:

Ask your social worker to submit a referral to the DCFS Child care unit. Once this request is submitted, you will receive a screening appointment with DCFS. This appointment could happen within a few weeks. YOU MUST come to it with:

  • The name and license number of the provider you’ve chosen.
  • Proof that you are enrolled in school or employed.

For more information on childcare options and financing, check out the resources below.

LAUP (then click for families)
Early Headstart/ Headstart
1-888-922-4453 (The Los Angeles County Childcare Resource and Referral)