A therapist is a trained professional who works to help you with your emotional problems. Their care is free to you. You may be referred to a therapist by the social worker, or you can request to see a therapist. Unless you say that you are thinking of harming yourself, your baby or someone else, the details of what you tell your therapist are confidential. However, if the social worker has referred you, the therapist may report your attendance and progress to the court.