Transitional Housing 18-21

There are a variety of housing options you can take advantage of if you choose to stay in extended foster care.

If you are in a good placement you can stay in that placement until you reach 21; and your caregiver will continue to get funding.

You can live in THP Plus Foster Care which is either an apartment or a group setting, that has expanded their placements to provide housing for 18-21-year-olds.

Or, you can live in a SILP, which can be a room in somebody’s home, a dorm room if you are in college, or you can share an apartment. However, the SILP has to be approved by the Department of Children and Family Services. The SILP has to be safe which means it has to meet certain minum standards such as having smoke alarms.