Becoming The Legal Dad

Even if you are the biological dad you may not be the legal dad. If you are not on the baby’s birth certificate, you and your baby’s mother must sign a voluntary declaration of paternity. If the mother refuses, you can go to court to request that the court gives you parental rights. It is important that you do this as soon as possible after the baby is born.